I thought I was a little more experienced!

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:47:42 -0600

Mr. Harris:

Welcome aboard!

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 10:24  PM, Matt Harris wrote:
> [...] for the life of me, I cannot find any graphical RPM tools on YDL
> (or RH9 for that matter I guess!).

That's because there are none. :-(

Yellow Dog Linux uses an RPM derivative called "yum" (Yellow Dog
Updater, Modified), all from a command line; the (rather uninformative)
Web site is:

<http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/>

There is also a much more informative page on the Yellow Dog site, but
the site is down right now, so I can't give you the URL (sorry).

The overall pattern is something like this (login or "su" as root,
first):

[root@localhost]# yum list [optional packagename]
... a list of installed packages ...
[root@localhost]# yum update [optional packagename]
[root@localhost]# yum install [packagename]

If you omit the optional packagenames, yum looks for and updates
everything on your drive. That's all I can remember without reference
to the Terra Soft/Yellow Dog Web site. :-(

> I really want to get the BTTV BT848 capture card working in this
> PowerMac G4 AGP graphics -  I can install modules for it, but no nifty
> apps to take advantage of the card.

I am unfamiliar with that piece of hardware (sorry, again!).

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>