Bluefish HTML editor

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:48:23 -0400

> However, let us know your experiences with vim, and how it compares to
> GUI text editors (like BBEdit).

Well, the learning curve is famously steep, and I'm only a little way up it.
But I'm far enough to get whiffs of the power that is reputed to lie
hidden behind that confusing, unhelpful initial screen of tildes.

There are some great tips at vim.org which make getting started a little
less confusing.

On another list, someone wrote that
> These days Linux is getting so smoothed out it can even be
> fairly well understood and used by a lay person like you or I.
> But I must warn you - should you wish to visit the depths of
> your operating system and query the Gods therein you must learn
> the one true speech and you must be wary.  In the end it all
> comes down to a little black terminal screen with text on it...

I think there is some truth in this, and getting familiar with vim has
definitely also helped me feel more comfortable at the command line.

Tobey Wheelock