installing synaptic

glenn greenfield yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 17:36:24 -0700

If you want to use Debian's package manager apt-get and dpkg you might wish to try out Synaptic- a great frontend for apt.  Oddly enough the YDL package maintainers decided that it wasn't worth including in the apt repository and yet you can find a synaptic.rpm!  Weird but true.  None the less- you can download and install synaptic from here:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/freshrpms/ayo/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/RPMS.freshrpms/synaptic-0.42-1.fr.ppc.html

Just click the huge link at the top of the page, downoload it and then:

sudo rpm -i synaptic-0.42-1.fr.ppc.rpm
sudo synaptic

Don't forget to run apt-get update first!

Sorry- I posted this to the list previously but wrote "apt-get install synaptic" which in fact does not work!  :P  I'm spoiled with Debian and its thousands of packages on my other systems.

http://www.linuxmail.org/