PM9500/180 dual processor install problems (Bill Hughes)

Matt Emson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:11:27 +0100

> I have had problems with a 8.5 partition and BeOS does NOT like my
PCI-SCSI HBA.

I have my external drive on the PM9500 external SCSI port. BeOS seems fine
with it. I guess that's the trade off... stoch hardware is supported, but
there are some things that need drivers still.

> BeBoot just won't recognize my AHA-2930 (Adaptec) HBA or anything attached
to it. It seems
> you need a "Apple-ROM" CD-Rom drive and your hard drive to be connected to
the Macs'
> interanal SCSI Bus.

Be uses a couple of tricks to gather hardware info. Have a look at
BeTips.com because I believe there is an issue with CDRom's not being
recognised. Basically all the extensione and/or drivers have to be loaded
before Be kicks in, or Be has to be able to see them via Open Firmware. The
CDRom extension has to also have a specific name. That could be one of your
issues. Also, if MacOS needs a seperate driver, that could also cause
problems.

> Macs with IDE may vary but I'll give this warning, BeOS doesn't recognize
my
> ATI (PCI version) Radeon (Mac Editiion).

IIRC the 4400 had IDE and it is supported. Be stopped supporting Mac's after
the 9600 range because Mr Jobs killed the clone market and therefore stopped
handing out the specs. Mr Jobs then made things extremely hard for Be and
they never officially supported G3's etc. (some G3 add on cards do work
however, in older hardware.)

> -->>BeOS has its' very own, PPC/BeOS version of CodeWarrior. I know
nothing of programing,
> but that in itself is a good sell for those of you who code. BeOS has has
tons of cool little
> multimedia apps plus BeShare, (Gnutella, Limewire type clone) ports of
Mozilla and Firebird, some
> pretty cool games (I've heard, haven't done it for myself) that one can
compile for PPC, like
> HeXen, Doom those 1st person shooter types...

Main problem BeOS PPC has is lack of users. You have us old Mac hardware
owners, BeBox users (see http://www.bebox.nu for more info) and that's it.
Intel people are still up and running on fairly new hardware.

> Clint, if you're really interested, check out "BeBits" and "BeGroovy"
(both are .com 's IIRC), also,
> since BeInc. is no more I don't think I'll serve 1-to-5 for "copying" and
sending you a version of
> BeOS R4.3 (last PPC release, while it was R5 in the X86 world).

BeOS R5.03 runs on PPC. That is what I have on my PM, though I also have
some older versions too for nostalgia and resurrecting old software (get it
to compile on the older version, port it to the newer.)

> Mat,
> if you're doing any coding in BeOS, PLEASE email me.
> I really would like trying BeOS out again even if it means that I'd have
to restore my "soup-ed up"
> 9500/200 back to "stock" specs.   I'd really like someone that could give
me pointers every now
> and then.

Sure thing. I program on it sporadically, but then I program all day in
Windows, so it's a labour of love to find the time under BeOS.

Email this address directly and I'll give you some pointers ;-)

Matt