Some more useful commands

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:40:08 -0500

Bill:

Thanks!

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Longman, Bill wrote:
> $ man <section> intro
>
> So if you want an intro to Linux system calls:
>
> $ man 2 intro

Only recently did I learn what the "fsck(8)" nomenclature meant. For
years, I knew there was additional information to be had in the man
pages, but typing variants of "$ man fsck(8)" and the like only gave
exasperating error messages. Now I know that "$ man 8 fsck" is my
friend.

Thanks!

(It's hard to get help when the instructions for the help are written
in secret code.)

Best wishes,
Clint

--
\ Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald   \ <mailto:clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>
  \ Cell Biology & Biochemistry\ 806/743-2703