Kwrite Questions

Ted Goranson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:05:42 -0400

I am using Kwrite. Openoffice just didn't work. And even if it did,
it is too much like the ugly thing it copies.

But I am finding Kwrite extremely frustrating. Surely there must be
an application for Linux that works as well as BBedit with
Spellcatcher.

What I like about Kwrite:

- It is a good KDE citizen, which means that the menubar can be put
at the top of the screen (where it belongs). The Kde clipboard works

- Drag and drop works. Cut and paste works.

- I can toss the toolbar

What I cannot figure out:

- All the various keystrokes for forward delete do not work.

- How does one add a spellchecker? The manual is oddly out of sync
with the app. which appears to be Kw 4.1 on KDE 3.1-8a..
Spellchecking works in Kedit.

- I cannot set the text color (relatively minor complaint, but I can
inexplicably set the page color). Can do so in Kedit.

- No smart quotes. No restrict to single-space command. Kedit has a
"clean spaces" command.

- At odd moments, it forgets wordwrap settings, sometimes the syntax
coloring mode settings.

- Would seriously enjoy block indenting and folding.

Or is there something different that I should be checking out?

Best, Ted
--
Ted Goranson
Advanced Enterprise Research Office