newest newbie

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 21:36:25 -0500

Bill:

On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 08:26  PM, Bill Lockhart wrote:
> Hi I'm very interested in trying out Linux.

Welcome aboard!

> I have a iMac DV 400 with 1 gig of RAM and a 40 gig HD that is
> basically doing nothing right now so I thought I would try Linux on
> it. any reasons why I should or shouldn't use this Mac?

This is well above the minimum requirements for a useful Linux computer
(1 GB of RAM!), so you should have little problem. Actually, a 400 MHz
iMac would make a useable, if not snappy computer running Mac OS X, so
the only reason to run Linux would be for the adventure.

> (I also have a iBook 800 w/Combo drive, 640 RAM, and a 30 gig HD)

The iBook is also a popular Linux machine, but it's a *great* OS X
machine. You could turn the iMac into a print and file server running
Linux, and access its files via local networking or sftp from the
iBook. That would be so geeky, I'm starting to drool. :-) (For what
it's worth, the iMac running OS X would be a very good server, too, and
much easier to administer.)

> My problem is I can download YDL 3.0 to my iBook but when I try to
> mount it, Disk Copy seems to lock up. I then have to reboot the iBook.

That's very odd, and I have little experience with this kind of problem
(perhaps someone else can help you here). However, in reading this
mailing list, almost invariably, problems with the disk images mean
that you should download the image again.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--