hi, new here with some basic newb ?'s

William Thomas yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 07 Sep 2003 07:37:13 +0000

I just installed YDL on my tibook, pretty ncie so far.  I do hav a few
really really general questions though. Bear with me as I am new to linux as
well - hey we all have to start somewhere right :)

1)  After install i updated my isntalled packages. after that happened, most
of my apps got really pretty, anti aliased fonts, etc.  One that didn't was
evolution... still looks like a kindergarten font collection running in it.
It is at the latest version. Incidentally firebird is also not anti-aliased.
  Both of these apps use the same fints as mozilla which is.  Why is that
and how can i resolve it.

2) How can I slow the mouse tracking speed down, this thing is hard to
control on my trackpad.

3)  What about theme installs? I tried to install a kde theme obtained at
themes.kde.org. into  /usr/share/themes however it doesn't appeaer in the
kde control panel as selectable.

4) i tried to isntall gnome, through yum.. when i start it i get errors that
the daemon couldn't start correclt and it will retry next time i login.. but
it appears to work.

Thanks for the info and glad to be here.. hope you can bear with my newbness
for a while , once i have some basics down, i hope i can learn a bit more on
my own.

cheers
-h

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com