YDL Install Problems

Robert Fernandes yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:29:47 -0400

On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 08:39 PM, Clinton C.MacDonald wrote:

>> 3. As the install stopped before completion, Office is not present in
>> the Office folder.
>
> This is not "Office" from Microsoft! Assuming you did not unselect it
> during the installation, OpenOffice.org should be installed. You will
> not have much luck in finding it in any kind of "Office" folder.
> Instead, look for it in the "panel" (the menu bar at the top of your
> screen), in the "kicker" menu (the Yellow Dog icon at the left of the
> panel), or by typing the command "oowriter" at the command-line.
> However, you will not like OpenOffice.org at 640X480 resolution, so
> try solving that problem first.
>
> To tide you over until your video is fixed, try typing "kword &" (note
> the ampersand) at the command-line. This will open a less frilly word
> processor for your use.
>
>> How do I install or copy this onto the hard drive? Why can't I just
>> drag it across from the CD-not that I can see the CD!
>
> Installing software is still a complete mystery to me, though it is my
> by saying that installing software is still something for which Linux
> is way, way, way behind Windows or the Mac. Drag installs are not even
> a *dream* yet for Linux. Sorry.

To be able to see and mount your CD, right click on the desktop and a
menu of items will pop up. Choose Create CD/DVD rom Device. Change or
edit the name if you like, then click the device tab (3rd one, I think,
I'm in OS X at the moment). Open the drop down box and you should see
your CD rom device (likely /dev/cdrom). Click then and then OK the
dialog box. Now you have an icon you can click to mount the cd. You can
also right click the icon to unmount and eject as well as change the
properties.

At this point you can drag the openoffice rpm to the desktop and I
believe there are rpm tools (dpkg, maybe?) that shouls allow you to
install it. I never use those so I can't help you there. If, however,
you have a dsl or cable modem connection to the internet, you can use
one of two tools for software installation that work very well. These
are apt and yum.

I use yum at the command line so here's how: first connect to the net,
then open a shell window and type "su" (ignore all quotes), hit enter
and type the root password, hit enter and then type "yum check-update"
and enter. This will take awhile as it download a bunch of header
files. When it is finished, type "yum update" and enter. This will take
even longer as it updates any packages installed on your machine that
have newer ones available. Okay, when that is done, type "yum install
openoffice" and enter. This should download and install openoffice and
you should be good to go.

While it may not be quite as easy as Mac software installs, yum is an
excellent tool. Try it out.

-Bob