Burning install CDs

Joshua Mitchell yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:21:33 -0500

--Apple-Mail-2-896230849
	delsp=yes;
	charset=US-ASCII;
	format=flowed

See Comments interspersed
On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 12:12 PM, Bill Lockhart wrote:

> I actually envy you that are having install problems.
> I can't seem to get that far!
>
> I have an iMac DV 400 with 1 gig of RAM and a 40 gig HD that is
> basically doing nothing right now so I thought I would try Linux on > it.

Nice hardware to run it on

> My problem is I am trying to  download YDL 3.0 to my iBook(800 Combo
> model with 640 RAM and running OS 10.2.6)
> (I plan on burning the CDs and then installing YDL on the iMac)
>
> I've gone to the yellowdoglinux download page:
> I've tried clicking either
> Yellow Dog Linux 3.0
> Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 ISOs (CD-ROM images)
> the icon appears on my desktop, seems to have the whole program in
> just a couple of minutes
> (I have cable but this just seems too fast for the size of YDL)

That does seem rather fast, it took me ~ 3 hours with cable broadband

> then, when I double click on the install 1 disk image, Disk Copy tries
> to mount but goes on forever and if I try to stop it, my iBook locks
> up.

First don't double click the iso image

> Could someone please tell me step by step how to burn the YDL install
> cds on myiBook so I can then install YDL on my iMac?
> I'm sure once I get over this hump I'll be able to figure things out(I
> hope).

this webpage
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/iso_burn-
osx.shtml
has it laid out step by step including graphics
basically, insert CD-R
Open Disk Copy,
Select the image to burn from (iso)
pretty simple really

> thanks
>
> Bill

--Apple-Mail-2-896230849

See Comments interspersed

On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 12:12 PM, Bill Lockhart wrote:

having install problems.

I can't seem to get that far!

I have an iMac DV 400 with 1 gig of RAM and a 40 gig HD that is
basically doing nothing right now so I thought I would try Linux on it.

Nice hardware to run it on

<excerpt>My problem is I am trying to  download YDL 3.0 to my
iBook(800 Combo model with 640 RAM and running OS 10.2.6)

(I plan on burning the CDs and then installing YDL on the iMac)

I've gone to the yellowdoglinux download page:

I've tried clicking either

</color>(CD-ROM images)

the icon appears on my desktop, seems to have the whole program in
just a couple of minutes

(I have cable but this just seems too fast for the size of YDL)

</excerpt>

That does seem rather fast, it took me ~ 3 hours with cable broadband

</fontfamily>

the install 1 disk image, Disk Copy tries to mount but goes on forever
and if I try to stop it, my iBook locks up.

First don't double click the iso image

<excerpt>Could someone please tell me step by step how to burn the YDL
install cds on myiBook so I can then install YDL on my iMac?

I'm sure once I get over this hump I'll be able to figure things out(I
hope).

</excerpt>

this webpage

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/iso_burn-osx.shtml

has it laid out step by step including graphics

basically, insert CD-R

Open Disk Copy,

Select the image to burn from (iso)

pretty simple really