blueberry ibook modem

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:24:05 -0400

Jason Kibbe wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have ydl 3 on my blueberry ibook.  i haven't been able to find out
> anywhere (searched archives, web)if it is possible to set my ibook
> modem up so i can use web, im, etc... i've been able to find stuff for
> newer ibooks, but it seems as if the classic ones are configured
> differently.  unfortanetly, everything i read has been discouraging,
> with pages of code.  i know that ibooks are supported by ydl, but does
> that include everything, or "yeah, you can install it on your
> mac..."?  w/o internet access, i'll just go back to os9 and xp for OOo
> (since mac doesn't have it...).  anyway, thanks in advance for any
> help.  i'm a total newbie so too much tech talk will be foreign to
> me!  i just ordered some books, though!
>
> jason ;)

Somebody correct me on this if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that
most laptops of whatever platform these days use "softmodems"--i.e.,
modems which have very little hardware component & which rely on
software within the system itself to perform the modem functions. Linux
generally is incapable of recognizing or using these softmodems to
establish a connection to the Net.

--Harvey