blueberry ibook modem

Jason Kibbe yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 11:39:14 -0400

hi,

i have found 2 different sites that mention using an ibook modem:

1.  "Modem is been a long time problem on ibook. You have to know some
history.
Different models have different specifications: "old" models were having a
serial bus dedicated only to their internal modem, so that these latter
behave as common serial modems. On the newest iBook, Apple preferred to
remove all this serial circuitery for embed a usb modem from "Conexant".
Under MacOS things has been kept completely transparent to the user, by the
Apple uses. Linux suffered all this really much; many help sites recommend
to buy an external modem+a usb->serial adapter for getting an effective
internet dial-up link.
Now thing are a bit different. Marc Boucher wrote a pseudo-opensource linux
driver for conexant usb modems. Benjamin Herrenschmidt ported it to ppc
platform. Poor words tell you can finally connect to internet using your
internal modem."  http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/step_step/   This seems to
say that older ibooks like mine are serial modems (?)

2.  "  I got the modem to work, by using hcfmodem drivers, which can be
downloaded here. Originally the file was called
hcfusbmodem-0.98mbsibeta02090200ppc.tar.gz. This will only work on PPC
machines. I am able to get into minicom, and an "ATZ" command return a +OK,
which tells me everything is fine."
http://www.mayin.org/aragorn//computers/ibook.htm ~ This guy encourages
people to buy a 700MHz ibook since it has a software modem (?!)

I has been a little discouraging trying to get YDL up and running.  Sure,
the installation was a piece of cake, but I have web browsers & IM software,
but no internet connection; OOo, but can seem to print yet; a Handspring
that won't sync.  I don't mind reading, learning, and tinkering, but there
seems to be a lack of documentation on YDL and configuring Linux on a Mac.
I guess I've yet to see all of the great advantages.  I going to peek at
ebay now for OS X, since I can get it for $20-30, and it runs on a UNIX
architecture anyway...!

Bummed out in PA,
Jason

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es