blueberry ibook modem

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:46:45 -0400

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 11:39  AM, Jason Kibbe wrote:
>   I don't mind reading, learning, and tinkering, but there seems to be
> a lack of documentation on YDL and configuring Linux on a Mac.  I
> guess I've yet to see all of the great advantages.  I going to peek at
> ebay now for OS X, since I can get it for $20-30, and it runs on a
> UNIX architecture anyway...!
>
> Bummed out in PA,
> Jason

Jason,

I know the frustration you're feeling. I started out with Linux on an
Intel box. When I bought a new machine, though, I decided to go with
the Mac. Linux "grew up" on the Intel architecture; and has only very
recently been ported to the Mac platform. So yes, a great deal in Linux
is still "catching up" on the PPC & the learning curve is
correspondingly steeper.

I went with MacOSX alone for awhile, tried working with Darwin (its
UNIX) base awhile, but--dammit!--I just didn't >like< OSX, and found
Darwin more opaque than flavors of Linux I had tried (couple different
ver's of RH). So I was glad to find YDL, a way to get back into Linux
on the Mac platform. The learning curve has been steep & I've had many
of the same frustrations you expressed--but I'm >really< glad I
persisted: I have a fully functional system, using KDE as my GUI, and
am much more comfortable than ever before working from the command line.

Good luck. You might find OSX just fine for you, depending on your
needs. If you stick with Linux, I can promise a lot more frustrations,
but also a growing degree of control over your own system.

--Harvey