One last set of linux file sharing questions

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:23:46 -0500

Evan:

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 10:39  AM, eps22 wrote:
> Wow, that should make things easy. Fugu looks like a great program.

It sure is!

> How do I find out, on my Linux box, what:
>
> a) The IP address is that my router assigned to it (on my OS 10.2 box,
> I just go to Sys Prefs and then to Networking for all the > information);

Go to the command line and type "/sbin/ifconfig".

> b) The computer name?  I don't remember giving the computer a name
> when I installed YDL - all it asked for, I think, was a password for
> root, and then the name and password for my main user account;

I think the computer name default is "localhost." I have not yet
figured out how to change it. :-(

Newsflash: I was poking around in kicker -> System Settings -> Network,
and under the DNS tab, there is a field for Hostname; I changed mine to
"YellowPup" (no spaces allowed). Try playing with that.

> c) The password for the computer? Again, in YDL, I know the password
> for root, and for my main user account, but I don't remember ever
> giving my Linux computer a password the same way that I gave one to my
> OS 10.2 box.

You set these passwords during the initial installation of YDL. At
least you remembered what you chose as passwords! You can change the
root password by going to the kicker menu (the Yellow Dog on the top
left) -> System Settings -> Root Password. You can create a new user by
going to kicker -> System Settings -> Users and Groups.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint dot macdonald AT sbcglobal dot
net>