One last set of linux file sharing questions

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:44:44 -0500

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 11:23  AM, Clinton C.MacDonald wrote:

>> b) The computer name?  I don't remember giving the computer a name
>> when I installed YDL - all it asked for, I think, was a password for
>> root, and then the name and password for my main user account;
>
> I think the computer name default is "localhost." I have not yet
> figured out how to change it. :-(
>
> Newsflash: I was poking around in kicker -> System Settings ->
> Network, and under the DNS tab, there is a field for Hostname; I
> changed mine to "YellowPup" (no spaces allowed). Try playing with > that.

You will probably want to update /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost       YellowPup
192.168.0.X  YellowPup

Where 192.168.0.?? is what ever local IP your router is giving you.

Then you can also edit:  /etc/sysconfig/networking

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=YellowPup

Sean