installing YDL 3.0 on Mac OS X

George Henry-Schneider yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
14 Sep 2003 11:57:52 -0700

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 11:39, Paolo Brunello wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just bought a TiBook G4 and it's my first NewWorld machine. It
> comes with Mac OS X pre-installed and there's no extra partitions on
> the drive. I wonder whether it is possible to create a partition on
> the free space using a linux drive utility or if I have to necessarily
> initialize the drive on Mac OS X, thus creating an ad hoc partition
> for YDL.

I'm very new at this also but from everything I've learned so far YDL
needs it's own partition.  So far I've done it two ways.  I save
everything I need in OSX and then reinstall after creating two
partitions from the OSX install disk.  I have an external firewire hard
drive and another G4 Powermac so using CarbonCopyCloner I clone the
drive to my fw, repartition the laptop into two drives and then using
CCC put the OSX back onto the laptop.

The YDL 3.0 Companion to Installation was very helpful in getting
everything to go smoothly.  One thing I had a problem with was the
resolution the installer came up with as default was off a bit and it
took a bit to fix it.  The lesson learned was make sure of your settings
before saying yes.

Have fun,
George