one more q on linux networking

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:04:20 -0500

Halvor:

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 12:02  AM, Halvor wrote:
>> how do I access a "real" mac from linux, that is a 9500 running
>> system 9, I manage to connect to my linux machines from the mac but
>> not the other way around ?

It sounds as if you want to mount a Macintosh volume on the Linux box
using network file sharing. I don't think you can do exactly what you
want, but I might be wrong. There is something on Linux called
"netatalk," that simulates AppleTalk networking, but I don't know
whether YDL has it installed, nor how to turn it on. :-(

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
guest_access.shtml>

> on 15-09-03 13:12, eps22 at eps22@verizon.net wrote:
>> One way to do this is to turn on SSH (secure shell) for both machines
>> using the SSH daemon (called sshd). Then you can type
>> "sftp://username@remoteIPaddress" in the Konqueror browser address
>> field

Thanks, Evan!

> I do not think I have seen a ssh shell in system 9 before, file
> sharing runs over tcp or afp, neither of which seems to work from
> linux. Is there some .... one moment (google: mac os 9 ssh) right,
> there is a pile of  links,

To my knowledge, there are no ssh *servers* for Mac OS 9. However, here
are a couple of clients:

NiftyTelnet SSH <http://www.lysator.liu.se/~jonasw/freeware/niftyssh/>
MacSSH and MacSFTP <http://pro.wanadoo.fr/chombier/>

I have used both NiftyTelnet and MacSFTP (long ago), and both are nice
applications.

By the way, for Macintosh applications, a better place to search than
Google is VersionTracker:

<http://www.versiontracker.com/>

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint dot macdonald AT sbcglobal dot
net>