A few Post Install Questions

Samuel Clough yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:00:10 -0600

I have a few post install questions.  I've used Mandrake before on an x86
so I'm not a total linux newbie but I'd appreciate help with a few
issues.  So far YDL seems great.

1. Firewall.  During the install I set the security level to high and
opened up ports for HTTP, DHCP, and SSH.  Now, when I go into the GUI
security level it shows the system as high security and default with
none of those ports opened.  If I try to change it, it let's me save
changes, but when I go back into the security level GUI, it shows high
level and default.  It's not saving my changes.  I wondered if the file
it's writing to is messed up and so it cannot read it correctly or save
changes and that's just not making it up to a user prompt, I don't know.
 I assume it's using iptables, but in the past I've always let a gui
play with configuration there and not messed with the files by hand.=20
This is also causing a problem in that I cannot get out to the web.  My
ibook is attached to a router and is attaching to the network because I
can ping the router and the windows box, but I cannot ping anything on
the web.  In my debugging process at this point I'm assuming it's the
firewall, but I can't turn the thing off since the gui is not saving
changes!  Also, ifconfig is returning command not found.  Shouldn't it
be there?  I even su'd to root and tried it and still no output.

2. WindowManagers.  I thought it was supposed to prompt you for your
window manager when you logged in, but maybe that was an older version.=20
Anyway, the Wonderland icons are too big for me and overall it's too
much of an XP lookalike if you ask me.  Regardless, that's all
subjective, so how do I run an alterate windowmanager like Gnome itself
or even WindowMaker.  Can I simply edit my .xinitrc file to start up
another manager?  I was so frustrated with the firewall thing last night
I haven't looked to see if it's using that file yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!