A few Post Install Questions

Michael Molino yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:33:52 -0400

> 1. Firewall.  During the install I set the security level to high and
> opened up ports for HTTP, DHCP, and SSH.  Now, when I go into the GUI
> security level it shows the system as high security and default with
> none of those ports opened.  If I try to change it, it let's me save
> changes, but when I go back into the security level GUI, it shows high
> level and default.

You know, I never noticed there was a GUI for that.  I set up my firewall by
hand with iptables.  This is how I learned to use it:
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Security/IPtables_Basics.html

Now that I know there is a GUI interface for it, I tried using it.  When ever
I make a change the whole program just shuts down.  It seems to me that this
is a bug as I can't imagine it's supposed to just shutdown anytime you make a
change :)

> 2. WindowManagers.  I thought it was supposed to prompt you for your
> window manager when you logged in, but maybe that was an older version.

KDE is the most versatile I think.  When you first log in, there should be a
button at the bottom of the screen that lets you select the window manager to
use.  By default, it picks one - you aren't prompted everytime.  If you have
KDE installed use that.  You can change everything from the control center
(fonts, icons, double click behaviour, etc...).

--
Michael Molino
973-769-0994