Key error: foreign ???

Paolo Brunello yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:05:42 -0700

HI,
I've  repartitioned  the  hard drive using the OS X disk utility and I
might have done a painful mistake: I made a HFS+ partition for the OS X
and a UNIX filesystem instead of "unallocated" which I now interprete to
correspond to the "free space" option.
When I tried to install YDL 3.0, the installer soon hanged up when it
comes to partitions: neither the automatic partition nor the disk druid
let me in, both generating a pop-up window saying "exception: this is
probably a bug" and at the end of a set of strings I read "key error:
foreign".
I wondered if there is a way to fix this without erasing the OS X
partition once more.
I booted from the original OS X CD using disk utility again and trying
to set the unix partition into free space but it warns me that all the
volumes will be erased.
Is there a way to reformat only the UNIX partition, turnin it to free
space, maybe using a Linux tool, whatsoever form a CD?

thank YOU,

Paolo