Repartitioning w/o wiping OS X? (was Re: Key error: foreign ???)

Suman Chakrabarti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:29:44 -0500

Paolo, I feel your pain.

	I didn't make that particular mistake, but I too want to
erase/reformat a non-OS X partition while leaving the OS X partition
alone. Disk Utility doesn't let you do that. I too would appreciate
an answer.

	Here's my structure as done by autopartition:

	hda9:	hfs+	macos
	hda10:	hfs+	macosx
	hda11:		Apple Bootstrap
	hda12:	ext3	linux
	hda13:		swap

	What I forgot to do was create an hfs partition so that I
could subsequently install Linux and Mac-on-Linux to be able to
exchange files between the OS's.

	So I want to preserve hda9 and hda10, wipe the rest and
create something like this:

	hda11:	hfs	for mac-on-linux
	hda12:		Apple Bootstrap
	hda13:	ext3	linux
	hda14:		swap

>HI,
>I've  repartitioned  the  hard drive using the OS X disk utility and
>I might have done a painful mistake: I made a HFS+ partition for the
>OS X and a UNIX filesystem instead of "unallocated" which I now
>interprete to correspond to the "free space" option.
>When I tried to install YDL 3.0, the installer soon hanged up when
>it comes to partitions: neither the automatic partition nor the disk
>druid let me in, both generating a pop-up window saying "exception:
>this is probably a bug" and at the end of a set of strings I read
>"key error: foreign".
>I wondered if there is a way to fix this without erasing the OS X
>partition once more.
>I booted from the original OS X CD using disk utility again and
>trying to set the unix partition into free space but it warns me
>that all the volumes will be erased.
>Is there a way to reformat only the UNIX partition, turnin it to
>free space, maybe using a Linux tool, whatsoever form a CD?
>
>thank YOU,
>
>Paolo

Suman Chakrabarti, Ph.D.
Thermal / Fluids / Plasma Propulsion Modeling Engineer	(& Kitchen Sink)

TD40 / Propulsion Research Center		<Suman.Chakrabarti@nasa.gov>
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center		AIM/iChat:  <scstr@mac.com>
Huntsville, AL  35812
			Schedule:	<webcal://ical.mac.com/scstr/Work.ics>

TD40 is a part of the Space Transportation Directorate at NASA MSFC
Any opinion expressed is my own and not that of NASA

"If it's Sumanly possible, it'll be done."