Bochs (How easy)

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:35:12 -0500

John:

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 10:33  PM, John wrote:

> I would like to know how easy Bochs is to install and how stable it
> is. I have a machine that I would like to install YDL on, but need to
> run Windows on it.

What is Bochs? If it is a Windows emulator for x86 Linux (that's what I
get from your drift), then it is unlikely to run on the PowerPC
platform. :-( The only viable options are VirtualPC for the Mac
(expensive), or to buy a cheap, used PC (can be very cheap).

> I have Mac OS X on this machine, but I want to reclaim my hard drive
> as on my iMac I can only use the first 8 gigs for Mac OS X and I have
> a much bigger hard drive then that.

Well, you can certainly use Mac OS X if you split your drive into two
partitions (the first less than 8-GB, the second larger). There are
even Unixy tricks that would allow you to fool Mac OS X into thinking
the second partition was your Users directory.

That being said, a Mac that is old enough to have the 8 GB barrier, is
also old enough to run Mac OS X dog slow. Yellow Dog Linux might be
just the way to reinvigorate your old iMac!

(By the way, I think there is still a 8 GB barrier with YDL -- search
around on Terra Soft's Web site for the answer.)

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>