Another How do I?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:50:32 -0500

John:

On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 11:57  AM, John wrote:
> I was wondering how I find applications that are not KDE applications
> that I can start up. I know the find, but what if I just want to
> search for what applications are on my hard drive. I know this is
> simple and just some thing that I am over looking.

Finding applications is not as easy as it should be (it's the Linux
Way(TM) :-) ). Four places to look are:

[1] the programs menus in the "kicker" (the Yellow Dog icon in the
upper left) -- try this when logged in to both the KDE and Gnome
environments

[2] the "Start Here" icon on the desktop has a directory for
Applications that you can explore

[3] type "yum list" in a console (you must be logged in as a root or
superuser, "su") -- this list is fairly complete, but incomprehensible

[4] the Yellow Dog Web site:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/software/included/>

I am certain, however, that there are many applications that are hidden
somewhere on your hard drive, even after searching with those four
methods.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>