G4, ATI 128, X Serve Problems

Robert Persson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:34:51 -0700

The GUI is actually known as an X-Server (it's a server because it provides
screen, keyboard and mouse services to other programs).  Other terms used
are xfree86 or just X. X-Serve is a server manufactured by Apple, if I'm
not mistaken.

I don't know the answer to your problem, but I would suggest the following
steps:

1. You could try editing /etc/X11/XF86Config by hand.  Remember to save
your old XF86Config first.  The sections which deal with your card begin
'Section "Device"' and 'Section "Screen"'.  You might find that setting a
default colour depth of 15, not 16, works, or will at least enable you to
get slightly better performance from fbdev.  It depends on your card.  I
think the ati driver is called "aty".  You can get more information by
typing "man XF86Config", or browsing http://xfree86.org.

2. You could also try sending the output of startx to a file, e.g. "startx
> somepathorother/startxmessages" and then paste startxmessages to this
list to see if anybody can make sense of it (if it's not too long).  That
might be a good bet in the first instance.

Robert