how to format my external drive?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:31:13 -0500

Ms. Frost:

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 01:56  PM, Edith Frost wrote:
> Hi!  I'm dual-booting YDL and OSX on my iBook. I have a new Maxtor
> external firewire hard drive that I want to use to store MP3s.
> [...]
> How can I format this thing so it's mountable and writeable on both
> sides, and also allow for the long filenames?

As evil as it might seem, have you tried formatting the drive in
MS-DOS/FAT format? I think that might fit all your criteria.

If you want to remain *Pure* ( :-) ), you can play with the beta
extension for Mac OS X that allows mounting of the ext2 (Linux)
filesystem:

<https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>