My DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont appear anywhere.

steve s yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:28:08 +1000

>From: Andrew <virgule88@videotron.ca>
>To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>Subject: Re: My DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont appear anywhere.
>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:32:25 -0400
>
>On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 00:43, S Sandrussi wrote:
> > Hey again.
> >
> > I installed YDL 3.0 on my g4 and my DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont
>appear
> > anywhere. I was assuming they would be on my desktop but they are
>nowhere I
> > have looked. I try playing a music cd in KsCD and it recognizes there is
> > cd in the drive but no music gets played.
>
>ok, adjust the volumes in 'kmix' (KMenu -> Sound & Video -> SoundMixer)
>Make sure the 'Line' column is ON. You know its ON or OFF by the
>red-led-like-round-button under the sliders... must be ON
>
> > I created a new CD\DVD ROM device
> > on my desktop and mounted /dev/cdrom, then tried to view the cd I had
>inside
> > but got this message:"Could not mount device.
> > The reported error was:
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> > or too many mounted file systems"
> >
>Im afraid YDL (and all Linux distros??) can't 'see' the tracks and show
>you some ICONS like MacOS do. Maybe there is a way but its off my
>knowledge...
>
> > I havent tried to get my Zip drive back as I need my DVD-RAM drive more.
> >

>you must add a line into /etc/fstab to use the zip.
>
> > Any ideas how I can get my DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive back so I can use
> > them? I was hoping I wouldnt get a problem like this on a new install on
>my
> > G4.
>
>:) This is not a problem, indeed. Its just that 'commercial OS' make
>such things sooooo easy and straightforward and transparent to the user
>that Linux looks like a 'wanna be OS' but...lol... I dont wanna start a
>OS war in here...but...Linux...simply...kick...all...them...butts!!!
>(when you know what/how to do things)
>
>Do you have the zip registered into fstab? if not, I can tell you how to
>make it work but this will make this post quite long as there is a
>couple variable I must consider. SCSI/USB? internal/external?
>100/.../700mb??.. I'l need some more details... ;)
>
> > Thanks.
>no problems! :)

Hey!

I am still stuck without a working cdrom drive or zip drive. I brang this up
before but decided to chase up other things first. Was just wondering if
upgrading my kernel would help this problem? I asked on the yellowdoglinux
channel about this problem in IRC and someone suggested upgrading my kernel.
I think I currrently have 2.4.22-2a ( this is what it says in KDE control
center). Any ideas?

Thanks.

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail