My DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont appear anywhere.

Andrew yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:47:47 -0400

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 06:28, steve s wrote:
> >From: Andrew <virgule88@videotron.ca>
> >To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> >Subject: Re: My DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont appear anywhere.
> >Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:32:25 -0400
> >
> >On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 00:43, S Sandrussi wrote:
> > > Hey again.
> > >
> > > I installed YDL 3.0 on my g4 and my DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive dont
> >appear
> > > anywhere. I was assuming they would be on my desktop but they are
> >nowhere I
> > > have looked. I try playing a music cd in KsCD and it recognizes there is
> > > cd in the drive but no music gets played.
> >
> >ok, adjust the volumes in 'kmix' (KMenu -> Sound & Video -> SoundMixer)
> >Make sure the 'Line' column is ON. You know its ON or OFF by the
> >red-led-like-round-button under the sliders... must be ON
> >
> > > I created a new CD\DVD ROM device
> > > on my desktop and mounted /dev/cdrom, then tried to view the cd I had
> >inside
> > > but got this message:"Could not mount device.
> > > The reported error was:
> > > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> > > or too many mounted file systems"
> > >
> >Im afraid YDL (and all Linux distros??) can't 'see' the tracks and show
> >you some ICONS like MacOS do. Maybe there is a way but its off my
> >knowledge...
> >
> > > I havent tried to get my Zip drive back as I need my DVD-RAM drive more.
> > >

> >you must add a line into /etc/fstab to use the zip.
> >
> > > Any ideas how I can get my DVD-RAM drive and Zip drive back so I can use
> > > them? I was hoping I wouldnt get a problem like this on a new install on
> >my
> > > G4.
> >
> >:) This is not a problem, indeed. Its just that 'commercial OS' make
> >such things sooooo easy and straightforward and transparent to the user
> >that Linux looks like a 'wanna be OS' but...lol... I dont wanna start a
> >OS war in here...but...Linux...simply...kick...all...them...butts!!!
> >(when you know what/how to do things)
> >
> >Do you have the zip registered into fstab? if not, I can tell you how to
> >make it work but this will make this post quite long as there is a
> >couple variable I must consider. SCSI/USB? internal/external?
> >100/.../700mb??.. I'l need some more details... ;)
> >
> > > Thanks.
> >no problems! :)
> >

> Hey!
>
> I am still stuck without a working cdrom drive or zip drive. I brang this up
> before but decided to chase up other things first. Was just wondering if
> upgrading my kernel would help this problem? I asked on the yellowdoglinux
> channel about this problem in IRC and someone suggested upgrading my kernel.
> I think I currrently have 2.4.22-2a ( this is what it says in KDE control
> center). Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Maybe, maybe not. I am running 2.4.22-2a too and I can use the CDROM,
JAZ, floppy, USB mice, SCSI scanner all no trouble.

Here is how I got my external SCSI 1Gig JAZ to work. This should be
quite similiar for your ZIP.

]$ dmesg | grep scsi
(...)
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
(...)

# substitute scsi with usb if you have a usb zip.
# several things appeared. Among them I spotted
# 'sdb' It is what is important from now on. depending on how/where it
# is attached, these three letters can be different...

]$ dmesg | grep sdb
sdb: Unit Not Ready, sense:
sdb : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdb : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
sdb : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB
 sdb: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0

# Look bad, isnt it? but it is fine since there is no disk loaded in the
# device.. I've seen 'disk size 1GB'. Perfect, this IS my JAZ. I am 100%
# sure it is connected to 'sdb'. Lets make it work.

]$ su
password:
]$ ln -s /dev/sdb /dev/jaz
]$ mkdir /mnt/jaz
]$
]$ pico /etc/fstab

# add a line at the end of the file. It Should look quite like this:
# remember this is for my JAZ..

/dev/jaz    /mnt/jaz   auto    defaults,noauto,users,rw 0 0

# save and quit (ctrl+x)
# For convenience, lets allow all users to use 'mount'. This step might
# not be necessary for everyone..

]$ chmod a+x /bin/mount

# All is left to do is to get a compatible formated disk. My JAZ are
# ext2 formats. I never even tried to use a DOS or HFS or whatever else
# formats with my YellowDog installation. I just dont need to ;)
# Insert a disk in the zip slot...beware this will wipe all data... you
# better make a copy of important stuffs first..

]$ mke2fs -v /dev/jaz

# re-add an icon on KDE desktop?
# Voila et merci beaucoup!

-Andrew