How do I compile GAIM?

steve s yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:33:54 +1000

>From: Andrew <virgule88@videotron.ca>
>To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>Subject: Re: How do I compile GAIM?
>Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:52:01 -0400
>
>On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 03:15, steve s wrote:
>
>---cut for length matter
> >
> > Which source file did you download from the gaim website to do the above
> > steps?
>
>I compiled from gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm following the very same steps
>mentioned above.
> >
> > gaim-0.77.tar.bz2?
> > gaim-0.77.tar.gz?
> > gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm?
> >

>The steps are valid for all the files for the most part. tar.bz2 and
>tar.gz are compressed 'tarballs' while src.rpm are sources packed into a
>rpm file...huh..ok... kinda the same results. Decompressing tar.gz/bz2
>(tar zxvf <filename>) will put, by default, the source files in the same
>directory as the compressed tarball while installing src.rpm (rpm -i
><filename.src.rpm>) will put all the source files into
>/usr/src/rpm/SOURCES/
>I think its better to get src.rpms since all the sources get into the
>same place... Using compressed-tarballs will probly ask to move files
>around in order to stay organized... or not ;) Anyway, in this
>particuliar case, the gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm contained gaim-0.77.tar.gz, so
>no big differences...
>
> > I already have gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm in my home folder. Does it matter
>where
> > you download the file to? With gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm in my home folder I
>hope
> > I am ready to follow the steps you gave above.
> >
>you are ready to go ;) call again if you need more help
>
>-Andrew
>
> > Thanks again!

Me again!

I got through the compiling with no problems. You instruction and help was
excellent thanks again. Just want to ask if there is anything I should
delete after I compile, like for example would i need to get rid of the old
GAIM files and stuff or is it already taken care off and all i need to get
rid of is just the gaim-0.77-0.src.rpm  file I downloaded.

Thanks heaps.

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail