Maybe I'm thick but...

Julian Opificius yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:52:56 -0500

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:22:53 +0100
Sean Lewis <sean@mbd-ltd.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Julian
>
> Thanks for the speedy response
>
> I ran a status on the daemon and its response was as follows
>
> httpd dead but subsys locked
>
> when I try to restart httpd I get
>
> Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: [  OK  ]

Well that implies it wasn't runnning before but is now, so it sounds like you'r moving forward ...

try the /etc/init.d/httpd status again, and see if you have instances running.

If you don't, then you'll need a greater authority than me.

> I don't know where the system logs are kept on linux (yet, but i'm sure some
> nice person or google will point me in the right direction) so I can't tell
> you what they say.

Log files are traditionally in /var/log/<application_subdir>, in this case
/var/log/httpd.

> Again, any help would be most appreciated, and I'm not doing this for work
> its for me, they don't give a rats ass about linux.
>
> *sigh*

Yes, some of us are sentenced to banging our heads against the wall for the ungrateful masses who are blissfully unaware of (and usually unaffected by) our efforts ;->

> Sean
>
> P.S
>
> <---Quote--->
>
> Here's one for you: where the hell is your company contact info? I
> couldn't find your location on your website. I don't have macromedia
> flash on my ydl install, so I coudn't see your main navigation bar till
> I looked you up on my Windows browser. Thought you might like to know :-)

> I know, thank god I didn't design it, navigation is as important to websites
> as location is to houses.

I'd go further than that - a website without visible and accessible navigation is like a house without a door.

--
j.