Maybe I'm thick but...

steve s yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:05:14 +1000

Hey all.

I know alot of people have been trying to help with this problem and my
response may seem a little stupid but I think this could be of help. Before
I start I am going to say this,  I had the EXACT same problem with APACHE.
This was the first problem I encounterd using YDL after I installed it. I
wanted to set up APACHE so I can do web developement at home rather than
only at college and was snapping that it didnt work because I set up APACHE
at college on a PC with Mandrake Linux. Anyway enough of a stupid newbie
story to get it working I did absolutely nothing, I just gave up. But I did
start using YUM and asking questions here to get my system updated and then
one day after I finished downloading an update with YUM, I just tried to see
if APACHE was working and opened a browser and typed localhost and boom the
test page I put in the document root folder appeared! So I why not give it a
try? I am absolutely sure I had the same problem and am also sure it had to
have been one of the updates I downloaded using yum that made APACHE work.

Here is a copy of my yum.conf file if you want to give it a try:

START COPY

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.updates/

[freshrpms]
name=FreshRPMS
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/

STOP COPY

Hope it works for you even if it doesnt sound like I know what I am doing.
Take care!