Maybe I'm thick but...

steve s yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:00:47 +1000

Hey Sean.

I am as new as this as you but this is my two cents and I hope it orks out
for you!

If your installation is new then you have the same problem I had. Log in as
root then open the file YUM.CONF (should be located in /etc/) and add the
following  to it:

START COPY

[freshrpms]
name=FreshRPMS
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/

STOP COPY

I left out the other stuff I had in the other email because they will
already be in your YUM.CONF file and all you need to do is just add the
above to it. After doing this log out of the root account then log on with
your user account and go to the Konsole and enter "SU" then type the root
password to get root priveleges and type:

yum list updates

YUM will go to each address in your yum.conf file and list all the files
that need to be updated on your system. Then basically type:

yum update (insert package name here)

YUM wil then get the needed files and update your system. Repeat the above
until nothing appears when you type "yum list updates" and you know your
system is updated. When you finish downloading a new package give your
browser a try and type localhost to see if the default APACHE page appears
to see if it works. I tried APACHE out after downloading around half the
updates listed in "yum list updates" and thats when APACHE started working.

As for the folder to put your web pages open the file httpd.conf (should be
located in /etc/httpd/conf) and look for the word "Documentroot". The path
next to that is were you place you web pages. It should be "/var/www/html"
if you didnt change anything.

Give it a try.
Take care.