DHCP IP address

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:28:41 -0500

Mr. Jean-Achille:

I have a Wallstreet PowerBook, too. A very nice computer!

jeanachille wrote:
> I've got the "redhat-control-network".
> I can activate my internal ethernet card.

That is good.

> But when I try it, I'v got a error message, I'don't get a Ip address.

Please tell us what was the error message?

> What I wants to know, if dhcp rpm is install in YDL 3.0

What are you trying to do? If I understand you, you do not need DHCP
installed on the computer (your Wallstreet) that you are trying to add
to your network. The DHCP address will be supplied by another computer.
For instance, if your Internet connection is through DSL or a cable
modem, the IP address will be supplied automatically by the network. Is
this what you are trying to do? You should not need to set up
dhcp-client on your Wallstreet.

It is possible that you have a different problem, and that your
Wallstreet is fine. Perhaps your DSL or cable modem is not working
correctly, or you have a bad Ethernet cable.

For anyone to help you, we will need to understand exactly what you are
trying to do. Please tell us more about your computer and network
connection.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: