DHCP IP address

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:03:19 -0700

> The DHCP address will be supplied by another
> computer.
> For instance, if your Internet connection is through DSL or a cable
> modem, the IP address will be supplied automatically by the
> network. Is
> this what you are trying to do? You should not need to set up
> dhcp-client on your Wallstreet.

You *do* need a DHCP client. You won't automatically get an IP address
unless your machine requests an address. That's what "dhclient" does. Make
sure the dhclient package is installed. You can use:

  yum list installed | grep dhc

to see if it is installed.

If it isn't, you can configure the interface manually, then:

  yum install dhclient

To configure your ethernet interface:

  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 [ip address] netmask [netmask] broadcast [mask]
  /sbin/route add default gw [gw ip address]

That means you need to know:
1 - an available [ip address]
2 - the [netmask] or the broadcast address, [mask], for your network
3 - your network's gateway to the internet, [gw ip address]

I can't help you find those numbers because they'll be specific for your
network.

--
Bill