Maybe I'm thick but...

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:12:57 -0700

> Ok Kiddies
>
> I figured it out..
>
> rm the httpd lock from /var/lock/subsys...
>
> ...and it started, although it did give me a weird error
> message on startup
> as follows:
>
> Starting httpd: httpd: Could not determine the server's fully
> qualified
> domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>
> is this something I have to setup in a .conf file somewhere?

Yippee! Another YDL success story to pin on the refrigerator!

Just look at all those magnets....

Sean,

This is something I've just never understood about apache. It really really
wants to tell everyone who it is. It would really really like to supply all
the clients with an *absolute* path where their URLs should go if they need
to be redirected. That's why it needs a ServerName. Look in the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file for information on the ServerName directive.
You should also look at the UseCanonicalName directive.

Also:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#servername

--
Bill