Is It Possible to Upgrade YDL?

Andrew yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:35:27 -0400

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 12:05, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> On Thursday 29 April 2004 03:18, Andrew wrote:
>
> > > I'd like to update KDE and GNOME too. I tried compiling KDE 3.2 using
> > > konstruct but it was not even completed after a whole week! ouch
> > >
> > > I will contact KDE team right now and ask ppc.rpms for YellowDog.
> > > Maybe they will hear me ;)
> >
> > I spoke up too fast, once again:
> >  <http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php>
> > Its up to us, the users, to contribute and/or to TerraSoft to provide
> > those binaries.
>
> Hm. Well, until someone decides to compile the binaries (a week? Sheesh - I'm
> lucky if I have a couple hours free), where can I find the default Gnome
> 2.2.0 window theme --
> all YDL gives you is their "Wonderland" (which is less than wonderful)

> Ed

	I tried, indeed. First time I ran into dependencies problems (asked for
GKT+2.4.0) I got it from sources and compiled successfully, then
./configur-ing stuffs who ask for GTK+2.4 or better were complaining
that GTK 2.4 was found but RPM database (or something similiar) said 2.2
was installed or something...It also said that running ldconfig may
help. It didnt. I abandonned :( I would *gladly* enslave this computer
for compiling purpose (Seti@Home style...) since I still can use it even
when 'make' is running... Then, all that I'd need to learn is how to
provide properly-made RPMs and have them posted on freshrpms. My best
bet would be to get up-to-date with those libs (GTK+, gcc, rpm....) then
go for the bigger ones like KDE, GNOME, XFree86...)

	Im up for some action! Come on! Lets make this doggy shine even more!