was (no subject), is how do I install firefox RPM on YDL ?

Andrew yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:45:10 -0400

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 23:55, Julian Opificius wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:44:23 -0700
> Sam Collins <samcollins@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Apologies in advance, major newbie-ness ahead:
> >
> > So I just installed ydl 3 on an ibook g3 700 with no problems at all.
> > I'd like to install firefox as my main browser.  I read last week on
> > this list about a ydl rpm for firefox at:
> > http://gurke.gaertner.de/ydl-rpms
> > So I downloaded the rpm, and my question is:  what do I do with the rpm
> > file now?
> > A google search turned up lots of references to fedora's 'package
> > manager'--messing around in the gnome menus I don't see this.  I looked
> > too at 'yum list' and nothing there looked terribly helpful.
> > I assume there is a totally obvious solution, and I'd be super grateful
> > for any ydl enlightenment.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >

> As it's a binary rpm, ported specifically to YDL, and youve already downloaded it, all you do is, as root :-
>  go to where it is (I usually put manually downloaded RPMs in /opt)
> "rpm -ivh firefox-0.8-1-dag.ppc.rpm"
>
> Here's hoping you don't get dependency problems. Write back if you get complaints.
>
> Now somebody else can tell you how you set it to be your default browser, 'cos I don't know how to do that :-)

There is no problem with dependencies whatsoever! Thats good news ;) The
bad news is you wont be able to download themes and extentions. I heard
its about the server that wont let user-compiled firefoxs connect
(anyone to confirm this??) Everything else is up and running.

To make firefox the default web browser simply edit /usr/bin/htmlview as
root. Look for X11BROWSERS_(...) lines and replace 'mozilla' occurences
by 'firefox'. X11BROWSER_GENERIC is the most important I think.

Thats it, thats all

-Andrew