was (no subject), is how do I install firefox RPM on YDL ?

Julian Opificius yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:55:40 -0500

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:44:23 -0700
Sam Collins <samcollins@mac.com> wrote:

> Apologies in advance, major newbie-ness ahead:
>
> So I just installed ydl 3 on an ibook g3 700 with no problems at all.
> I'd like to install firefox as my main browser.  I read last week on
> this list about a ydl rpm for firefox at:
> http://gurke.gaertner.de/ydl-rpms
> So I downloaded the rpm, and my question is:  what do I do with the rpm
> file now?
> A google search turned up lots of references to fedora's 'package
> manager'--messing around in the gnome menus I don't see this.  I looked
> too at 'yum list' and nothing there looked terribly helpful.
> I assume there is a totally obvious solution, and I'd be super grateful
> for any ydl enlightenment.
>
> thanks in advance,

As it's a binary rpm, ported specifically to YDL, and youve already downloaded it, all you do is, as root :-
 go to where it is (I usually put manually downloaded RPMs in /opt)
"rpm -ivh firefox-0.8-1-dag.ppc.rpm"

Here's hoping you don't get dependency problems. Write back if you get complaints.

Now somebody else can tell you how you set it to be your default browser, 'cos I don't know how to do that :-)

--
j.