Install questions

Euan Maxwell yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:05:34 +0100

Hello there,

I have just taken delivery (about an hour ago) of my brand new Powerbook
(12"/1.33Ghz/SuperDrive).  I am totally new to the mac but not to linux.

I have installed and maintained numerous systems running linux on i386
and on my current desktop machine, a Sun Ultra2 unix workstation for
about 3 years and am quite comfortable with it.

The reason that I bought the Mac was for WebObjects development which
I'll be doing under OS X but I want to dual-boot the machine with YDL as
I want it to replace my current laptop which runs Fedora Linux and
Windows 2000.

I joined the mailing list a number of days ago to get a feel for things
but I am just wondering what I need to do to set the machine up as a
dual-boot machine?  Is there any point in me installing software and
customising OS X or do I have to clear everything off the machine and
start again with OS X if I am setting up a dual-boot machine?

I also read a post the other day that said you need the "Jaguar" disk in
order to do the partitioning in order to install YDL?  All I have is the
recovery disks that came with the powerbook.

I will delve into the documentation over the weekend where I am sure
some of my questions can be answered but I am just wondering if I am
wasting my time installing software just now on OS X if I am going to
need to re-do this later.

Thanks,

Euan.