Install questions

Euan Maxwell yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:17:55 +0100

Hi Clint,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the links as well.  I'm going to
be busy this weekend I can see!

> Whoa! I am *so* jealous! What do you think of it, so far? I am in the
> market to replace my older 15 inch PowerBook, and the new 12 inch
> PowerBook looks very, very attractive (I want a smaller machine for
> greater portability and the occasional airplane tray table). Do you
> perceive any limitations? Any issues with heat (a problem reported in
> the previous generation 12 inch PowerBooks)?

I also considered both the 15" and the 17" but decided that the whole
point of the laptop was to be portable.  It is a lovely bit of kit but
you are right, it does seem to run hot.  Bear in mind though, it is the
first time it has been powered up and it has only just stopped
recharging the battery.  I'll report back to you on the heat thing once
I've given the machine a chance to settle in.

> Because Mac OS X is BSD Unix-based, your Linux experience will come in
> handy (though, at this point, almost all of OS X can be configured from
> the GUI).

Yep, I found the command-line tool already ;-)

> Since yours is a brand-new revision of the 12" PowerBook, it is possible
> that it might not yet be supported by Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1. You will
> have to be our guinea pig on this one. I have not yet seen anything on
> Terra Soft's Web site indicating their support for this machine.
>
> Do not despair, however! Since Mac OS X really is Unix, there is lots of
> native support for many of your favorite Linux and other Open Source
> applications. You may never have to install YDL to have most of the
> tools you may want. Check out the Fink project at Sourceforge:
>
> <http://fink.sourceforge.net/>
>
> If this serves your needs, let us know (and let me know how you like
> your new 12" PB!).

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look although I am all up for trying to
get YDL running on the laptop.  If I need this Jaguar cd, it is possible
that I can get a copy on loan from another developer/friend who has been
using macs for ages.

I'll take a more detailed look at the install instructions over the
weekend and report back on the heat issues in a few days.

I also bought an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, any luck getting
these to work under YDL??  What about the WLAN stuff and dual-heading??
I know that the YDL site mentions the latter on the front page but I
don't know if that is reserved for higher-specc'd models that the 12"
book.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Euan.