YUM/Apt-get never work-can't switch mirrors

Rob Banzai yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:32:06 -0700 (PDT)

I recently installed Yellow dog 3.0 and have been horribly frustrated
by how hard it is to install even a single piece of software. It seems
everything must be compiled, and I am invariably missing 150 library
files to compile which I must then search the net for.
I will try YUM or apt-get and it will fail almost immediately so I
learned about switching to a different mirror but that never seems to
work either.

it's been a miserable experience using Linux so far. I've been using
computers since DOS 2.0 so I'm not your average clueless user.

is there any way I can take advantage of the much-touted wonders of YUM
to update installed software and retrieve new software? It seems the
handholding required to do even the most basic task with Linux is going
to force me back to Windows. :P

thanks all

=====