Printing Question

Ed Sutherland yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:22:35 -0400

On Friday 30 April 2004 16:13, Gerald wrote:

> thanks for the tip. However that does not work at least for me. While
> it does recognize my printer it does nothing. I can't print from OO or
> the test page. While I like many things about Linux it's pretty useless
> without the ability to print out my work, plus it's extremely
> frustrating. I'll get back to it again. But right now I have some work
> to do.

Gerald,
I totally agree with the need for an operating system to make your computer
more -- not less -- productive. I held the same view as I worked out the
kinks of YDL. Thank goodness for the dual-boot feature. Slowly (it's been a
couple months) I've regained my productivity and reduced the frustration
level while working in Linux.

No matter how much of an open-source evangelical a person might be, if an
operating system degrades productivity than it is worthless. For many YDL
users, Linux' steep initial learning curve is rewarded through an extended
lifespan on aging hardware. For instance, I bought my 500Mhz G3 iMac two
years ago, yet already, the slowdown is noticeable in Mac OS X 3.2. Switching
to Linux has solved that production bottleneck. Hopefully, in the next
several years, the ease-of-use in a desktop Linux will approach Mac OS X or
Windows XP and reach beyond its current status as the OS of last resort or as
a 'prettyfied' industrial-strength server platform.

Ed

Ed