window managers

Sam Collins yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 22:10:16 -0700

Hi all, right off the bat I'd like to say how much I've learned from this list in the last few weeks, all your detailed answers much appreciated.
So I've got a nice working copy of ydl 3, and I've really enjoyed messing around with it as far as my knowledge goes.  I read an article on the web today about different window managers, alternates to using kde or gnome:
http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=18131&subsectionid=707
I've looked at the websites for afterstep and enlightenment and I have to say I'm curious. And so, purely for the purposes of screwing around for my entertainment and (hopefully) education, I'd like to try running some of these window managers...say afterstep or enlightenment.
I didn't see these rpm packages on yum list, and they don't seem to be on the install cds I made.  Is there any easy way to experiment with all this, or should I think of something else to do with my spare time?  Just to reiterate: afterstep, enlightenment, etc. have nothing to do with my personal productivity, I just like messing around and trying to see if I can get different things to work.
Any helpful suggestions about window managers?

Thanks,

-Sam