window managers

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 3 May 2004 22:43:00 -0700

 Gee, Sam, this almost sounds like flamebait, but we here on the YDL newbie
mailing list pride ourselves on being *FAR* above rancorous diatribe due to
our personal preference of window managers. Oh no!

You will certainly get lots of responses about what people but everyone will
tell you, the final decision comes down to your personal preferences in how
you work with your computer. If you need a really fast, small footprint WM
with few extras, try flux/blackbox or WindowMaker/After/OpenStep. If it's
eye candy that floats your bloat, try Enlightenment (which is actually
fairly light, given all that it does). If you want the sun moon and stars,
go KDE/Gnome but be willing to pay for it in MB.

You probably won't have to build these yourself. There's places hidden in
the back corners of the internet where PPC compile gnomes are busy toiling
day and night creating RPMs for your installation enjoyment. Some on the
list here have even found them and know where they are.

Thanks for the glowing review of the YDL list, and welcome to the show.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Collins
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sent: 5/3/2004 10:10 PM
Subject: window managers

Hi all, right off the bat I'd like to say how much I've learned from
this list in the last few weeks, all your detailed answers much
appreciated.
So I've got a nice working copy of ydl 3, and I've really enjoyed
messing around with it as far as my knowledge goes.  I read an article
on the web today about different window managers, alternates to using
kde or gnome:
http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tutorials/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=1813
1&subsectionid=707
I've looked at the websites for afterstep and enlightenment and I have
to say I'm curious. And so, purely for the purposes of screwing around
for my entertainment and (hopefully) education, I'd like to try running
some of these window managers...say afterstep or enlightenment.
I didn't see these rpm packages on yum list, and they don't seem to be
on the install cds I made.  Is there any easy way to experiment with all
this, or should I think of something else to do with my spare time?
Just to reiterate: afterstep, enlightenment, etc. have nothing to do
with my personal productivity, I just like messing around and trying to
see if I can get different things to work.
Any helpful suggestions about window managers?