sigh

Duane Foster yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 15:36:33 -0700

The following was applied to a Beige G3 300 and an IDE drive, it may not =
work with SCSI  i had the same result as you with SCSI, then I installed =
an IDE drive I had laying around and finally stumbled on the solution =
below.  I got the same error whether SCSI or IDE.  I did not go back and =
try this with SCSI, so it may not work.

Error message:
 Upon restarting Linux there is a kernel panic:
 VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or 00:00
 Please append a correct "root=3D" boot option
=20
Solution:
The kernel found the root filesystem when I added "root=3D/dev/hda6" =
string to the kernel options in BootX.  This seems redundant since there =
is a specific entry for the / partition in BootX, but this additional =
argument did the trick.

hth
duane