old mac clone

Walt Pawley yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 7 May 2004 01:42:51 -0700

On 5/5/04 4:59 PM -0400, George wrote on old mac clone

>Radius 81/110
>
>I just picked up this  _old_  box and am looking for Linux for it. I can't
>find it in the YD list. Anyone running something this old?

George,

FWIW, I've been flattening spots on my skull on nearby walls attempting to
get YDL 3.0 up on a 6100. Tonight, I finally got a login prompt!

While the 6100 is not a clone, it's of the same ilk with a smaller rubber
band powering the computing than the Radius 81/110. The hardest part for me
was really making sense out of what the web resources were trying to tell
me. As Clinton MacDonald <mailto:clint.macdonald@sbcglobal.net> says, the
page at

   <http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/>

leads you to things you need - all you have to do is make some sort of
sense out of it. I can't say I agree with the advice to get MkLinux,
however. With all the trouble I was having getting my brain to pay
attention to the YDL installation docs, I looked into MkLinux and found
most of the listed sources for the software not to have it any longer.

I suspect that earlier version of YDL would be easier to get working - or,
at least, easier to get configured to fit on the paltry hard disks
typically used in the x100 series Macs even after they'd been upgraded
(couple of gig in my experience). YDL 3.0 selecting only the Adminstrative
tools took just under a gig. Adding X, KDE and Gnome with their goodies is
definitely not for dinky disks.

--
Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company