Yum

Christopher R. White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 08 May 2004 12:54:13 -0500

Oh what a wonderfully tangled web this has become.  I downloaded the rpm
package from freshrpms.net.  When I tried to install, I got unmet
dependency errors (remember, this is a fresh install).  I used apt-get
update to update the package list, apt-get install -f to do whatever it
is that that had to do, (looks like it downloaded tk, and removed
timeconfig - apt-get failed when I tried to do apt-get install gnupg).
After apt-get install -f, I ran apt-get install gnupg and apt-get
install libxml2-python and finally was able to run rpm -Uvh
yum-2.0.5-1.yd.fr.noarch.rpm.  After that, I had to rename
/etc/yum.conf.rpmnew to /etc/yum.conf by doing cp /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew
/etc/yum.conf

All this done as su from the command line.

Now I'm able to use yum (so far it seems ok)  If ANYBODY else is having
troubles with yum, this is what FINALLY worked for me.  Thanks go out to
David for his help in tracking this down.  Hopefully Andrew can use this
to get yum working for him.

Chris White