Do both OSX AND YDL need to be in 8GB for old Macs?

David C. Hacker, DVM yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 10:09:44 -0500

--Apple-Mail-1-667885692

I think the problem will come when you try to boot OS X from yaboot.
Yaboot uses Open Firmware and it will only boot partitions in the first
8 GB of the disk on Old macs like the first generation iMac and beige
G3's.
Here is what my partition map looks like:
/dev/hda 1-6 apple partition map and drivers
/dev/hda7  apple_bootstrap 1MB
/dev/hda8  Mac OS X 6 GB
/dev/hda9  YDL root / 1.5 GB
/dev/hda10 swap 512 MB
/dev/hda11 /usr  4GB
/dev/hda12 /home 4GB
/dev/hda13 /var 1GB      If you are going to be compiling a lot of
programs or running a lot of servers I would make this if not don't
bother just leave it in root
/dev/hda14 Mas OS X extras and applications  80GB

If you set up like this you will find that you will only have about
500-750 MB in the root partition and the majority of the install will
be in /usr which is where all of the programs go.  If you ever want to
boot directly into OS 9 then you should also make a seperate partition
for it in the first 8GB and decrease the OS X partition slightly.  You
can probably get by with 500 MB or less for an OS 9 partition and then
put your applications on the extra space you have for Mac OS X extras.

Hope this helps some.

David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179
On May 10, 2004, at 4:07 AM, john gardiner wrote:

> Following on from assistance on asking about a terminating installer,
> have got as far as trying to reinstall YDL 3.0.1 into the first 8GB.
> The partition map looks like YDL root and swap all in first 7.5GB,
> next 9Gb or so is /home, then the rest of the drive (another 17GB or
> so) is OSX. The OSX system still boots fine but still get YDL
> essentially completely installed, but it fails right at the end when
> checking/completing the install.
>
> Surely OSX doesn't also need to be in the first 8GB (as putting
> OSX+extras AND a YDL workstation install all into the first 8Gb would
> be a bit of a cram)?
>
> The fact that the OSX alone runs fine suggests it is Ok where it is.
> has anyone else successfully installed YDL plus OSX on a rev 1 G3 B&W
> wih OSX in a partition beyond the first 8GB?
>
> Many thanks.

--Apple-Mail-1-667885692

I think the problem will come when you try to boot OS X from yaboot.
Yaboot uses Open Firmware and it will only boot partitions in the
first 8 GB of the disk on Old macs like the first generation iMac and
beige G3's.

Here is what my partition map looks like:

/dev/hda 1-6 apple partition map and drivers

/dev/hda7  apple_bootstrap 1MB

/dev/hda8  Mac OS X 6 GB

/dev/hda9  YDL root / 1.5 GB

/dev/hda10 swap 512 MB

/dev/hda11 /usr  4GB

/dev/hda12 /home 4GB

/dev/hda13 /var 1GB      <smaller>If you are going to be compiling a
lot of programs or running a lot of servers I would make this if not
don't bother just leave it in root</smaller>

/dev/hda14 Mas OS X extras and applications  80GB

If you set up like this you will find that you will only have about
500-750 MB in the root partition and the majority of the install will
be in /usr which is where all of the programs go.  If you ever want to
boot directly into OS 9 then you should also make a seperate partition
for it in the first 8GB and decrease the OS X partition slightly.  You
can probably get by with 500 MB or less for an OS 9 partition and then
put your applications on the extra space you have for Mac OS X extras.

Hope this helps some.

David C. Hacker, DVM

212 N 1st St #2

New Salem, ND 58563

(701) 843-8179

<excerpt>Following on from assistance on asking about a terminating