Do both OSX AND YDL need to be in 8GB for old Macs?

Martin Jacobson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 09:42:13 +0200

David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:
> I think the problem will come when you try to boot OS X from yaboot.
> Yaboot uses Open Firmware and it will only boot partitions in the first
> 8 GB of the disk on Old macs like the first generation iMac and beige G3's.
> Here is what my partition map looks like:
> /dev/hda 1-6 apple partition map and drivers
> /dev/hda7 apple_bootstrap 1MB
> /dev/hda8 Mac OS X 6 GB
> /dev/hda9 YDL root / 1.5 GB
etc... <snipped>

I am also having problems of this ilk. I bought a 160GB disk for my revB
iMac, and have been unable to partition the d*mn thing so I can get
yaboot to work. Autopartition & Diskdruid both refuse to put the
Apple_Boot partition where it needs to go, and using pdisk seems to make
the installer crash once I've written the partition table back...
What I want is something like this:

device     from    to   size  for
hda1-6       0GB    0GB       partition map & drivers
hda7         0GB    0GB   1MB Apple_Boot
hda8         0GB    6GB   6GB Mac OSX
hda9         6GB    8GB   2GB Linux /
hda10        8GB  128GB 100GB Mac Data
hda11      128GB  128GB 384MB Linux swap
hda12      129GB  133GB   5GB Linux /usr
hda13      133GB  *end* >20GB Linux /home

In other words, I want to use as much of the first 128GB for MacOSX, as
it can't 'see' the rest of the disk, leaving that for Linux, which can.

This looks a lot like your suggestion, so, any hints as to how to make
it work?

TIA
Martin