Do both OSX AND YDL need to be in 8GB for old Macs?

David C. Hacker, DVM yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 11:22:05 -0500

I done the same thing.  I put a 120 GB disk in my iMac 333.  I went
through several installs before I got it right.  What I ended up doing
was booting from the OS X installer disk.  I zeroed out the whole disk.
  Then I made a 4mb HFS partition first, for where I will make my
bootstrap in YDL installer.  (That was the smallest it would allow me
to make due to disk size)  Next I made a 5.5 GB HFS+ w/ journaling
partiton for OS X.  (I made it less than 6 GB because if an portion of
the first partitons goes over 8GB it won't be recognized)  Then I made
2 GB HFS partiton for YDL root, which you can select in disk druid and
convert to ext3 and make the mount point /)  Then you can make your 100
GB Mac Data partiton as HFS+ or whatever you want.  Then make free
space out of the rest of the drive, or you can make your other
partitions as HFS and then change them to ext3 in disk druid.  Be sure
to lock each partition as you make it so that the disk utility in OS X
won't move them around on you.  Then click format and do your OS X
install.
Next boot up the YDL install CD.  Use Disk Druid and convert the 2 GB
to EXT3 and make the mount point /.  Change the first HFS partition to
your bootstrap and so on for your other partitons.  Let me know if you
need more help.

David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563