processor G3

Christopher R. White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 15:18:51 -0500

The iMacs are quite easy to get access to the cpu daughter-card.  Apple
even posted a how-to in the help browser for info on changing RAM in
these machines.  I'd be concerned that possibly there may be more than
just a processor needing replaced.  If possible, you might consider
trying to find a used logic board / processor on eBay instead of just a
processor.  If you had a way to test your machine to ensure it's just
the processor, then go for a processor.

Sonnet makes a cpu upgrade for those old iMacs with a 600 mhz G3 and
FireWire port for $349.95 US.  More info here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html  Newer Tech used to
manufacture a G3 500 or a G4 400 upgrade for Rev A-D iMacs.  Might be
able to find one on eBay or something.  They worked great.  I had the G4
upgrade until my iMac monitor bit the dust.  I parted out the machine on
eBay nearly a year ago for close to $700 total!

Although not exactly cheap, it beats a 333 processor any day!  And is a
great way to breath new life into your older hardware.

Hope this helps you,
Chris

--
Over the router, Down the pipe, Across the backbone, Nuttin but 'Net!